Winter Park Public Library
The City of Winter Park hired ACi Architects to more carefully assess the City’s task force report’s findings, regarding physical and implementation constraints, impacts and opportunities including park character and open space, surface and structured parking, street presence, existing storm water capacity, as well as re-purposing the existing civic center with the new library. The purpose of this next step was for the City to decide whether to move forward with a bond referendum, which then passed in March 2016. This conceptual study achieved the following outcomes:
- Continue informing and involving the community with open access, dialogue, participation and input regarding a specific location within the northern sector of MLK Park to build consensus regarding concept site composition, quality of architecture, style, and visualization.
- Include a new events center and low-profile garage.
- Illustrate 2 options for the community preferred location in the northern sector.
- Prepare conceptual library design visualizations.
- Based on the above, prepare an updated preliminary Concept Budget.
- Present the above information to the Commission on October 26, 2015.
ACi Architects and its sub-consultants generally collected, studied, evaluated and developed specific data which was then used in connection with the following areas of study in preparation for:
- Review of existing data including topographical, boundary & utilities.
- Create a conceptual Events Center facility program.
- Develop site location options for new Library, Events Center & Garage.
- Civil drainage/storm water capacity study.
- Sustainability considerations.
- Pedestrian & bicycle access/circulation.
- Relationship to surrounding uses.
- Conceptual site and building design expressions.
- Concept budget.
- The ACi Team assisted the City and Library Administration in facilitating 3 community workshops. ACi recommended and conducted the Community Workshops at the Civic Center located at MLK Park to physically have a “hands on” experience with the park.
“Their ability to design a high quality library with incredible sensitivity to our local character, history, and emphasis on sustainability within the park brought about excitement for our community and potential partnerships to create spaces for transformative programs of the new Winter Park Public Library + Event Center.”
– Shawn Shaffer, Executive Director Winter Park Public Library